Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Naija Week 28 - Jand Edition!

Hello Everyone,

Here's another special edition reporting live from Jand!

Enjoy!

1. I saw a Ford Ka in pretty pink colour - how shocking and absurd! I can't believe I used to dream about having a pink or lime green coloured car once upon a time!

2. So, there's been severe flooding leaving effects such as no water, no light, people having to use rain water to flush the loo, people stranded at home. Hmm! Now if this were in Las Giddy, life will go on, in fact we don't need the rain to create these effects on living and we have learnt to be very resilient! Brits, learn to be resilient! Its the fine line between survival or otherwise!

3. Ha, was opportuned to dine at a new discovery - Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK), it was perfecto!

4. Went to one of my girlfriend's place and discovered that the Ribena she'd just purchased had an expiry date of 'March 2006'! Can you believe that? Now I can understand such an occurrence in Las Giddy, but not in jand! And here she was wondering why it had a funny taste!

Still on this expiration theme, in jand eggs have expiry dates and once its gone past the expiration, some people still eat them while some people don't (like moi) mostly because you can't see any visible sign that its off! Trust me however, you will know when an egg is off in Naija and thats true expiration to the core from the stench that will emanate from the egg!

5. Sad to hear about the Nigerian boxer and bouncer that was shot in the head and leg for telling some people to stop smoking. Senseless killings happen everywhere, not just in 3rd world countries! Whats the difference between living in jand and Las Giddy if I have to watch over my shoulders everywhere I go? And believe me I really did have to watch out when I was out and about in jand! Another life was wasted all within one week - a 16 year old was shot dead by a gang!

6. Day 144 - I saw some girls scantily dressed as I was cladded in boots, scarf and a jacket! I couldn't help wondering if we were all under the same weather conditions. I was freezing! Surely, they couldn't have been hot, could they?

7. Went to another eatery with some of my sisters. One of the meals ordered came with a 'shibi' (spoon) that I would term an 'omorogun' (ladle) to eat with! Na wa ya o! Omorogun just to eat 'Yakamoto food'!

8. Went on the tube a few times and for the life of me I could not understand how I endured years of travelling on it with the smells from MO, BO; the louts; the puke; the stuffiness; the filthiness; the grease from peoples hair on the side panes at the end of every row of seats; the stares, the gazes; the suspicions from your neighbour wondering if you were the next 'Taliban' et al! How did I, how do you?

9. As you know in Las Giddy, its 'soh kin soh' when commuting but in jand its 'dide kin joko'! When people are stood on the bus or on the train, everyone targets any seat coming up spare.

I was on the tube on Day 146 and this woman spoke directly and indirectly to her hearts content for someone to give up their seat for her children. No one budged; funny though she wasn't willing to give up her seat for them. When a seat went spare, someone just snapped it up without an ounce of guilt, all this whilst she was still cajoling her rigid children to go have the seat!

10. Went to my old workplace and nicely put - I made the right decision! Thank God!

Thats it for Week 28! Take care and have a fab week as you lookout for the next Las Giddy edition!

Always & Always,

Lola

No comments: