Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Friday, August 31, 2007

Naija Week 33 - 30 Gunshots!‏

Hello,

Hope you've had a great week. TGIF!

Many thanks for your readership and comments via the site and emails!

Enjoy this week's report!

1. Was opportuned to dine at the Lagoon restaurant with some 'Halli' people last week and boy, was the food setting great or what! The experience was good o! 'Twill be the first time I will see shrimp/prawn that big! In this place, they just keeping serving you until you indicate that you want no more! Na money kill am sha!

2. Was at a party over the weekend and just as I was leaving I saw a woman squatted by one of the parked cars with pants fully down relieving herself! What a sight!

3. Saw a dial-up facility that made me laff! To get internet connection means having to carry a Starcomms telephone (not GSM) around with you in order to get & remain connected to your laptop. Hmmm!

4. Day 166 - Made my first road side purchase! I bought a newly released Nollywood movie titled 'Caught in the Middle'. For the equivalent of 1-pound, I was not disappointed! It was good quality and nicely produced in partnership with Ecobank. Hmm, all the places these banks dey invest in!

All the Nollywood fans out there should go get their copy. Its a nice romantic comedy! Not that I'm an avid Nollywood fan, but this is the first movie I'll watch that showcases some of the better spots of Las Giddy!

5. Naira redenomination; Naira redenomiwetin? Whats your view?

6. Got lifts to work a couple of times this week from different people in my neighbourhood. They just stopped and asked where I was headed since they were heading into the Island! Oh, how nice!

7. Day 167 - was in the car with a colleague who successfully followed a 'sirened' vehicle for 20minutes! I was speechless as I sat glued in my seat and watch him do as they did; and other motorists steering clear of the road for him too!

8. Day 168 - saw a couple of 'egunguns' / 'masquerades' whilst going through Sandgrouse! I didn't know they still existed or that people still carried out such practices as 'eyo', 'oro' et al in this our 21st century!

9. Picture this - Day 168 at around 1.30am! I was awoken by the sounds of gunshots! I quickly came round to consciousness, wondering what on earth was going on. Whilst fully awake, I heard and counted (no kidding) 30 gunshots! You could tell a battle was going on from the sounds of the shots - like an inferior vs superior shots by the way they sounded.

I was scared as I thought the 'mopols' that guarded a couple of houses on my street had some uninvited guests! I tried to look out of the window but couldn't see a thing except the smell of gunshots! Plus there was no light!

I barely got much sleep for the remainder of the night even after the battle seemed to have died down.

Not knowing what had happened at night, I refused to leave the house until it was properly daybreak - 7am! On my way out, I asked the security guards for the estate and was told that the battle hadn't occurred with the estate but in the nearby neighbourhood! Thank God for his mercies!

10. Day 169 - As I was about to board a cab and haggling away on price, a man just came up behind me wanting to board the same cab. The driver beckoned to the man to leave seeing he was still negotiating with me. As the man stepped away, we both suddenly noticed that his ankle was chained and padlocked to his wrist. I felt cold shivers down my spine as it suddenly occurred to me that he may be an escaped criminal. As I looked at him and he looked back as he walked away - I prayed that he won't walk back towards me! At that point, I was ready to pay the cab man what he wanted just to move away from that place o. Its all good!

11. Still on Day 169 - I go chop poundo with my colleague for one place called 'Waka'. The setting is so different! You have settees to sit and relax on instead of the standard hard chairs! Anyways, after poundos, na sleep we won sleep o! In fact, we weren't the same for the rest of the day!

12. Day 170 - Saw a stark naked mad man on the other side of the bridge with no restraints. As I went past, I hoped that his madness wouldn't lead him to jump off!

13. For the 1st time in months, I'm getting some exercise in Las Giddy - Walking!

14. Picture this - went out with a friend for a drink and I witnessed toasting effrontery first-hand! Never mind, I had a male-company; it just didn't stop this guy from making his moves and giving his raps. Haba, this na real wa!

That's all!

Have a restful weekend!

Always & Always,

Moi (RLC)

No comments: