Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Friday, August 24, 2007

Naija Week 32 - Alas, Saw A Bullet!‏

Howdy Y'All,

Hope you've had a splendid week. Here's my report for yet another crazy week in Las Giddy - God's own city!

My thumb is getting better, albeit still very painful! Amazing how inadequate you become with 9-usable fingers! Yet, some are without and have learnt to live life despite that. I appreciate my thumb and every other body part that may seem insignificant - I probably didn't before until I realised that I can't even button my shirt right now or grip anything! Won't be hacking any chicken for the foreseeable future! And believe me, the jokes about this hasn't stopped from my work clients especially!

For all the emails, texts and comments - I'm saying thank you! I really appreciate them all. Please don't stop; keep the comments flowing to the blog site!

Read On!

1. Had a near miss accident on Sunday afternoon! A speeding jeep jumped the lights at full red, just as lights at my end had turned full green, with my car positioned first to roar! What saved me was the fact that I had spotted the driver before he hit a blind spot and had intuitively concluded that he won't stop. And he didn't! Thank God for his mercies!

Had the privilege of eating 'Isi-Ewu'! Not sure what to say sha about the experience!


2. Day 161 - Whilst in traffic on my way to work, I saw a man who had fallen fast asleep at the steering wheel. He really was deeply asleep because he didn't budge with all the cars hooting and trying to get past him. I actually feared that he'd died at the wheel. It wasn't until quite a number of cars had gone past that he came back to 'life' to continue driving! Na waya o for a Monday!

3. Did I mention that some of our staff travelling to some client sites for deployment had a terrible accident on the motorway a couple of weeks back. The bus apparently somersaulted thrice before landing in the bush. A couple of them sustained serious injuries - but today they are fully recovered - thank God. I just wanted to wait for their full recovery before mentioning it!

What got to me about this episode was that there were two vans travelling on the work assignment. One of the guys on the other unaffected van, had actually been sat in the affected van. Strangely, one of the guys on the bus annoyed him just before they left the office (in fact they had started moving), such that he asked the driver to stop for him to swap vans. This gentleman believes he would have died in the accident if he hadn't swapped over! Truly God saved him, who knows what would / may have happened!

4. Day 163 - Picture this! As I dey look for taxi for Ikoyi wey go take me go work, na so one mad man go past me. As the mad man waka, na him he won touch me! My people, na scream I scream run comot from the place wey I stand.

How would I get over a half-naked mad man touching me! 'Tufiapa'! It was so freaking freaky!

5. I saw a hen and its chicks! This was a sight I hadn't witnessed in years! Also, saw a billboard for something to do with Wole Soyinka mentioning 'Jero Plays'! Does anyone remember Jero Plays?

6. Day 164 - Picture this! I went to the hozy for my every 2-days thumb dressing and unstitching (thankfully I was told the stitches will come undone by themselves later, so I didn't have to go through the pain).

Prior to this, I'd spotted a half burnt van on the famous bridge on way to the hozy with a few people around the bus looking very disoriented.

Anyway, whilst waiting to be seen, I saw this woman and a little girl with blood stained clothes. The woman's hand had a big dressing round it. They left.

Then a another lady and a limping man came through. He went through to threatre immediately. The lady started sobbing. I consoled her and gave her a tissue. She didn't say was wrong until she got on the phone and told the person on the line that he had a gunshot wound on his leg. Later, she told us of how the man who is her brother happened to have been in his stall last week Friday. Unfortunately, his stall was located near the scene of last Friday's bloody robbery at First Bank in Mile 12. Apparently, the last guy her brother spoke too and the 'Mallam' he have alms just before the shoot-out, were killed. He came out lucky with a leg gunshot wound.

When the bullet was removed, the Surgeon gave it to her and she showed a couple of us in the waiting room. I cringed! I've never seen a bullet before in my life! And here was me looking straight at one! I froze! The bullet was almost half the size of my index-finger in length!

This was what prompted the other lady in the waiting room to talk about the lady and the child with the blood stained clothes. Apparently, the lady and the child were occupants of the burnt bus on the bridge. Whilst waiting for another means of movement away from there, a knife-man appeared from nowhere and started stabbing her. As she tried to escape, she would run back to try and get her daughter who was on her own on the bridge - miracle she wasn't crushed to death! Eventually, she was able to get her and flee but not without severe stab wounds. All this occurred in broad day light!

Yet we are told crime is reducing! How? What yardstick are they using?

May we not be at the right place at the wrong time! Amen o!

Thats all readers.

Have a restful weekend!

Always & Always,

Moi (Real Life Content)

No comments: