Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Monday, September 10, 2007

Naija Week 34 - Embarrassment!‏

Hello Everyone,

Hope you had a good weekend! Since its a late post I might as well congratulate y'all on the Golden Eaglets victory - it was quite spectacular! I almost hit the roof screaming whilst the penalty was on; then was on my knees for the 3rd penalty kick from our part. Our Pastor in church even prayed and said they would win; plus we made a special prayer at church on their behalf! Anything for footie! Thank God!

Anyways, back to reality! Thanks so much for all your emails and comments to the website - so much appreciated.

I know some people seem scared and concerned about the level of reporting that I'm giving - please remember that my blog is not meant to be a moan but an outlet in order to humour myself on the happenings here. This is just my encounter here in Las Giddy! Everyone's story is different! This is just mine! Remember, let God lead you here because I can tell you that if God hasn't led you here, you may have a tougher time; being led just means you may have a tough time! It is well!

Enjoy Week 34!

1. Had my first generator fuel-filling experience! 'Twasn't fun! I was scared! I'd never come in contact with petrol face-to-face like that before! I guess this is another inevitable experience of being back in Naija!

2. Whilst in a little bit of traffic at the weekend, a DVD hawker came running to my window to advertise his wares. In curiosity, I turned to see what he had to offer only to have a pxxx DVD cover staring at me. It was so not funny! I was so annoyed as I wondered what had prompted him to show me that! No respect!

3. Saw a caption in last Saturday's Punch with Beyonce's picture named as Britneys! Error in judgement I'd say! Habi, dey don dey look alike? Dat na the thing wey go happen when ebony don dey become ivory and ivory dey becom ebony!

4. Day 171 - saw the maddie again on the bridge, this time he was walking in the opposite direction. Somehow, I'm tempted to think that he walks the length and breadth of the famous bridge all day long.

Boarded a cab. When we hit a spot of traffic, the driver turned off the ignition and the cab refused to start after. I'd experienced this last week along the same route and was generous to the driver by giving him half of the fare, this time around, I just got out and walked away to look for another cab, when there was no ray of light of it starting!

5. Here's a colleagues friend's experience! Once saw a deaf and dumb man. Whilst he was moved to give him some alms, he thought to just put the genuineness of his predicament to the test. So he brings out a large Naira note, indicates to him that he wants to give him some money but that he doesn't have any change; so he asks the deaf and dumb man if he has any change and the man answers back that he has change! Who can you trust?

6. Still on Day 171, 2 men where paraded on national TV after being nabbed with a fresh human skull which was also shown! I just cringed in horror!

7. Day 172 - Attended a seminar and had a farting neighbour! Very unpleasant! After the first few firings, I looked around trying to detect the culprit(s) but everyone looked so seriously engrossed in what the speaker was saying!

8. Back to the hozy because of my thumb :( Water accidentally spilled on it and it'd developed pus by the next day. On my visit, the attendant tried to take off some of the stitches. As I sat agonising, his phone rings and you won't believe it, he told me to hang onto the tool he was using to cut/hold on the stitches whilst he answered his call. Here's was me in pain - hanging on to the tool still holding my stitches whilst he answered his call. So unethical but then dis na Las Giddy where anything goes!

Need your prayers for my lil' thumb o!

9. Day 173 - Coming to the office: Boarded a cab. The driver is the most polite cabbie I've ever come across. On getting to the office, he didn't have the right change to give me, he told me to pay him N100 less from the agreed price - the cheapest fare ever! I was in utter shock that anyone, a cabbie for that matter, will let go of his 'ego' / 'kudi'!

10. Picture this - Day 173! Embarrassment! Suddenly developed a severe tummy upset as soon as I got to the office. I went to the loo straight up. As I was there relieving myself, the door bursts open with little or no warning. The office cleaner opened the door applying little pressure, so the nail lock gave way - yes o, na nail we dey take lock door - u know the one wey u go just turn to one side! Luckily, I no dey any awkie position but em pata show small sha! No sweat! I no vex but men I sure say I turn red and blue and back to black!

11. Still on Day 173 - Going home: I tried to flag a cab not knowing that he was being chased by some security men. The men chasing now began to reluctantly shout 'ole', 'ole' (thief)! So everyone around was alarmed. Apparently, what had happened was that the cab man had hit and badly damaged someone's car and made a run. So he wasn't a thief per say, the security men just needed to call him something to get people's attention to stop him. Needless to say, he got away. He should thank his stars, this wasn't in Ajegunle or some place like that; where any portray to be a thief spells instant death if caught, whether the allegation was true or not!

12. Day 175 - Went for a meeting and there was no illumination in the lift and I was headed for the 9th floor! Going and Coming was the same! I prayed o! Not a time to be stuck in pitch black lift!

13. Still on Day 175 - had my first roadside hawker ware! Was in the car with a colleague who decided to buy a couple of yogurt drinks! I was offered one but initially turned it down but then changed my mind and decided to 'have a taste'! Na so I finish the drink sha but I first check the expiry date! There was no repercussion - thank God! I don't think I will be buying any drink on my own from anywhere other than from a proper store! Still best to stay safe!

So thats it for Week 34 o! Have a great week! Looking forward to your comments!

Always & Always,

Moi (RLC)



P.S For the Halli question, it means Halliburton!

No comments: