Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Monday, December 31, 2007

Naija Week 51 - End of 2007!‏

Hello All,

Whilst this post is for last week, I can’t help but think wow, it’s the 31st of December 2007! Thank God for his enduring mercies!

Happy New Beginnings in advance for Y2008!

Just a quick Blog here for the events of the last week! In Las Giddy, events occur in and out of season, so you see, being in the festive season has not changed anything!

Enjoy!

1. I saw a Somerfield truck here in Las Giddy – logo, UK plate number et al. Na only Oyinbo man remain for me to see to drive am! I began to wonder whether they were trying out their marketing capabilities here since they are not making as much money any more in jand! Ok, I’m sure there’s a logical explanation somewhere!

2. Apparently, the famous Tejuosho market got burnt upper week with several losses of lives. And with the lack of fire brigade service and bumper to bumper shops, I can’t begin to imagine the damages in terms of lives and goods! So Sad!

3. In the light of the festive season, there have been adverts in TV about ‘Naira Abuse’ – party spraying. If caught, it will attract a penalty of N50k and / or 6months imprisonment. For real! So be warned, all you pound and dollar wielding blokes and dames! But then is pound and dollar spraying allowed or disallowed? Na only naira they mention o! I’m sure the arresting officers may be swayed when they see the flow of foreign ego!

4. Naija Tip – always cut open your tomatoes and peppers before blending, as you just never know what may be lurking inside! A’ hard fresh’ looking tomato / pepper is no guarantee that the inside is as clean as the outside! Take it from me – talking out of experience! You might just get much more than you bargained for!

5. You know I mentioned how bad traffic had been this last few weeks but its amazing how the major cause of it has received prompt attention. My interpretation to this is that, because it had really affected the bourgeoisies of the locality, the gas pipes have been quickly buried in the ground. Meanwhile, other areas with open earth for almost a year now along the same stretch of road are yet to have the pipes buried but hey, these areas lack the elite! So who cares?

6. Picture this: rice and cooking oil distribution was very rife in Las Giddy. Apparently, festive gifts for most employees / employers! We got 25kg (even reduced this year because it used to be 50kg pp) of rice and some litres of oil! As I wondered what on earth I was going to do with that much rice, others lamented on the reduction in size. Still I was impressed most places gave their staff something! If na jand now, Inland Revenue go comot tax from the rice and oil; you know, taxable benefit crap! Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

7. Picture this: Day 260! Went to lunch with a colleague and saw a plate with 6 rolls of ‘Iyan’ and a plate full of stew and meat belonging to one Naija man and Oyinbo woman! I tried to work out the ratio of what each person will consume and I just couldn’t! Reason being, I couldn’t figure for the life of me where the Oyinbo woman go chop put the Iyan even if say na only 2 of it she chop. She was a ‘skelebongo’! Perhaps that was why much rolls of ‘solid looking Iyans’ were needed. Na waya O!

8. And lastly, I spotted a tied up ‘maalu’ in a pick up van fighting for freedom whilst in traffic. Men, I changed lanes quickly. Even the attendant to the cow was one leg in and one leg out of the van at a stage as even he couldn’t predict what next to expect from the fighting cow. Heya!

And that’s it as we round off 2007!

Have a blessed one and whatever you do ensure you enter the New Year with style filled with expectations for the months to come.

Always & Always,

Moi

No comments: