Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Friday, April 20, 2007

Naija Week 14

Hi Y'All,

Yet another week - Thank God for his mercies! Still hanging in here and desperate for a holiday!

Happy Reading!

1. Went out during the election at the weekend - actually drove to my Uncle's place! I didn't know I could be that brave!

2. Was on the phone the other day to my family in jand and as I was chatting, I yelled at someone on this side of the conversation. The person I was talking to in jand was so shocked at how I yelled and said I had become fully Nigerianised!

3. Day 67 & 68 - Had severe food poisoning - the worst in Naija and even in a long while now! I lost so much fluid. So much for SA Rice Krispies, Powdered Peak milk and TFC Pam's rice! It developed between having breakfast and lunch! It was not funny! I couldn't eat anything decent for days!

4. Day 68 - Whilst recovering from the FP, I spilled water down my shirt just as I was about to enter a meeting on a client site! Can you imagine! I jus do yanga about it when I was being laughed at! What else could I do!

5. Managed to get another driver after weeks of going downmarket - We thank the Lord!

6. A very common site in Las Giddy is that people just perch anywhere to 'piss' whenever and wherever they like! No respect for public or private properties / roads!

7. Oh! I attended the first church ever to have air conditioning - it was awesome. I'm sure you won't be surprised if this becomes my home church! Ok, ok, apart from the AC, I actually enjoyed the service, something I hadn't really experienced in a while!

8. The commonest clothing colour that people wear daily in Naija is 'White', despite the heat and the amount of dust pollution around. Now you don't want to see what that becomes at the COP!

9. Day 69 - Worst ever traffic day since being in Lagos! Return trip to and from work was 6hours! A part of my trip in the morning that should only take 15minutes cost me 2hours because of a tanker that lost its head - not just being jack-knifed but decapacitated! I'm not sure of any casualties but from the remnant I saw, it was a miracle the entire lorry had not burst into flames. Thank God for his mercies! And here was me being cross with the driver for being un-agreeably late that morning!

10. I have lost much weight yet again especially because of the FP and I seem to have a sudden outbreak of postules on my face due to Naija and work stress!

11. One of the new initiatives being carried out in the church I attended over the weekend is to build offices and toilets for the police stations within that environ. Apparently most of the police stations do not have toilet facilities let alone offices to work from; most of them hang around under trees! No wonder there is so much bribery, corruption and crime. To hear this is so painful! How can they serve and protect effectively? Still on this topic, I saw a battered police van on patrol. It was so bad, I could barely make out the make, model or colour. There was only one functional headlight; the other head lamps were non-existent!

12. My first Naija work project is about to go live, so this week has been nothing short of being chaotic and manic. I was in a meeting yesterday with 12 men in attendance and I was the only lady amongst them! Working in Naija especially in a male dominated environment is a different ball game entirely. I've had to toughen up these last 3 months to earn respect! Nawaya!

13. There were some other depressing events this week and even for the past few weeks now that I can't even begin to mention or articulate in this forum. Its all good sha!

14. And tomorrow is the day for the much awaited Presidential elections! It is well with Naija o - God's perfect will is definitely set to prevail.

I await your comments / emails as usual - make it better by blogging it at http://lagosdiary.Blogs4Rus.com

Have a good and great one.

Always as Always,

Lola - Keeping It Real in Las Giddy!

No comments: