Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Friday, February 9, 2007

Naija week 4

Enjoy!

1. TRAFFIC IS B.A.D IN LAGOS! All just down to intolerance and selfishness - everyone wants to go first!

2. Witnessed my first accident - thank God it was not fatal. Well suited man was on Okada carrying a huge potted-plant. Na so him and flower pot tumble comot from Okada when taxi man no look the place wey him dey go!

3. Saw a long lorry making a u-turn. The lorry had no lights and the driver had to use a torch light for navigation!

4. I have seen more hummers in four weeks than I’ve seen during my stay in jand! Who say money no dey for Naija?

5. Some Lagos markets burst into life at night time! Whatever happened to regulated working hours?

6. I never knew that ‘Obiomas’ and street hawking still existed! Na wa o!

7. The first time I used cold water to shower, I screamed my head off; now I’m a veteran - don’t even bother to get the kettle on anymore!

8. Day 16 News - 3 Okada men where apparently burnt alive for snatching a woman’s handbag. The area boys chased them and meted justice to them. The bag was retrieved and just tissue paper was found in it. No comment!

9. Over the weekend, I went out with a friend. At a point during the short journey, we went past a set of traffic lights. Before we knew what was happening, a couple of police men had jumped into the car and my friend was accused of going on red. The truth was neither of us could ascertain if that was the case. Anyway, he began to ‘talk’ their language. They asked for N17500. Then after a few more ‘talking’, it went to N8000 and then down to N1000 that was the money eventually paid. My God Naija! If only that money taken will truly deliver them from their predicament!

10. Naija people don’t stare, they STARE!

11. Got my salary with no payslip! The concept of a payslip is non-existent! Hmmm!

12. On day 17, the management got a brand new hi-spec water dispenser for the office. Now thats a luxury! Did I hear someone say that should have been a necessity?

13. So tired was I by the end of day 16, that I was in bed by 9.30pm, barely upto half an hour that I got home from work!

14. Struggled all day to keep awake at work on day 17 & 20. Sleep catch me o several times. I even go waka for road, the sleep no gree go away.

15. I had a colleague stand by me the other day during our devotion. My God, I could not figure out what ‘key’ he was singing on! Don’t think the key existed in English, Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa!

16. On day 19, there was an accident on 3rd mainland bridge, where a molue hit the barrier and flung some people into the river. It was rather an unfortunate accident. Just wished our so-called politicians will do more about their subjects welfare so that these people will have alternatives to their lifestyle!

17. Picture this, still on day 19 - Got home with no ounce of energy left in me at 9pm. No electricity, the rechargeable light was off due to no power source to charge it and no fuel yet for the generator. Had my dinner in the dark with a little help from my phone light. Whilst eating, I saw a little rat go by, so I had to raise up my legs! So, I ate in the dark with my feet up. Na wa o!

18. Heard on the news on day 20 about a governor being impeached for having 172 houses in Nigeria and abroad. Can you imagine this atrocity? How can one human being be so super-selfish?

19. Wow! Been here for four weeks now - I’m a survivor! In all these four weeks, I have not had the privilege of having electricity for more than 36hours in total. Nepa na luxury here o! What a shame!

This is all for this week. I’m feeling exhausted, lean and out of it this week. Its all good sha.

Have a gracious weekend y’all.

Always,

Lola

No comments: