Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Monday, June 18, 2007

Naija Week 22

Hi All,

Sorry for the lateness of this blog - not to worry, I don't have much to report on for Week 22. The week is however filled with 1st time achievements in famous Las Giddy!

Enjoy!

1. I witnessed for the first time police shooting! They were transporting money and were shooting into the air to scare off any potential robbery attempts! I was scared and gobsmacked, I was frozen to my bones!

2. Ha, wore a pair of trousers for the first time since I arrived in Las Giddy. Everyone around me sure noticed and commented. You won't believe how much I've been feeling quite cold; so bad was it one day at the office that I wore a pair of socks as my feet and hands went numb!

3. Finally, braved the weather and had my hair corn-rowed into 'Ghana Weave'. Had 2-tone colours of blonde and gold. The comments have not stopped flowing since! People have been utterly shocked at the combination but I've been reminding them that its nothing compared to the normal look my folks are used to seeing whilst I was in jand. Looking for my next brain-wave hairstyle!

4. Day 109 - Whilst driving in mad traffic on my way to work, I saw with my very eyes policemen chasing 2 men I think beyond a shadow of a doubt were robbers! They both started running in opposite directions on the famous bridge as the police seemed to cock their guns. My gut feeling about why they were not shot was because of the ugly sight it would have created for those of us around. I think that may have been the catalyst for me to run back to jand!

5. My God, does the famous bridge shake or what! The bridge vibrated so much on one of the days that my stomach took a spinning! Honest, it did! Hey, God o, please get our government to bring Julius Berger to check out the shaking bridge!

6. On Day 107 that the heavens opened up, it took 4hours to get home! The next morning on my way out, I saw a huge advertising bill board that had collapsed onto one of the houses beneath it. The house was rubbled!

7. I think one of the miracles of my time in Las Giddy is trying to fathom how none of the road hawkers have lost their feet (being crushed) whilst sandwiched between cars in traffic trying to sell their wares. I think its an utter miracle!

8. And the other thing I can't understand is how many sirened vehicles we have in Lagos, with all of them wanting to fly through traffic all at the same time, as if the other road users don't have destinations to reach! Na wa! All about money and power in Lagos!

That's all for now! Have a splendid, safe and wonderful week ahead.

Always,

Lola (RLC)

No comments: