Search This Bhttp://lola-life-in-lagos.blogspot.com/log

Friday, June 8, 2007

Naija Week 21

Howdy Y'All,

Here's Week 21! Enjoy!

1. Severe fuel strike hit Lagos, such that 10litres of fuel was being sold for N2,500 on the black market! Still people managed to go about their businesses and the roads were incredibly free-flowing! Jand should come and take a cue from us - remembered how the UK crumbled a few years ago after a few days of fuel strike! Resilience is the word!

2. Hurray! Had my 1st successful card swipe at a store!

3. Wala! Found and bought imported Ribena at last, at a decent Naija price! Well, thats still a relative assumption!

4. Experienced my 1st Las Giddy solo night driving!

5. Did I ever mention to you that I pay a monthly income tax of N198.00 only? Not even up to one pound! Ouch, I can hear some of you 40% payers exclaim in agony! E pele o!

6. Day 102 - saw a man driving a car full of restrained and unrestrained chickens! They were his passengers all round! Just not certain how he coped throughout his entire journey; and then you wonder how some diseases come up in Africa!

7. Day 101 - had a panic attack on the famous bridge! 'Twasn't funny; but I managed to get going again shortly after!

8. Witnessed with my korokoro eyes, people queuing to get into the BRT buses during one of the fuel strike days. I was shocked at what I was seeing! People don't line up for anything in Naija, let alone to board a bus! Wonders shall never end! There sure is hope for us!

9. I have not had electricity supply for a second for the last 7days; neither have I had water supply for the last 6days - since supply is dependent on electricity availability! Never thought I'd undergo 'fetching' water in this day and age. I've been eating out for the past 4months! Still, driver-less! Hmm, I guess it makes my Las Giddy story complete!

10. Had a hoodlum approach me in traffic during the week - came to knock on my window sharply. Luckily my windows were up. I wasn't certain of what he wanted as he wasn't selling any wares or anything; plus I hated to guess / assume / mention what I thought he was after. Anyway, I had this danfo driver by my side who now threatened to brush him if he didn't move off. As the danfo driver began to move towards making good his threat, the hoodlum quickly moved as there was suddenly nowhere for him to stand between both vehicles. Thank God for his mercies!

11. Day 104 - Picture this! It took three and half hours to do a 2-mile journey on the Island - it was really bad. It took me 4hours to get home! So bad was it that even good ol' Obj got stuck on the Island traffic for two and half hours according to paper headlines on Friday morning! All because it rained, yet absolutely nothing was the cause of the terrible traffic! Hmm, na wa ya!

And that's all for this week! Have a splendid weekend! Awaiting your comments!

Should anyone of you my beloved readers have any brainwaves of how I can publish this blog, please do let me know. Cheers!

Always & Always,

Lola (Keeping It Real In Las Giddy)

No comments: